AUSTIN HEALEY 100-6
In 1956 Austin Healey replaced the 100 with the 100/6. The car featured a 6 cylinder engine and hence the designation 100/6. This model is also known as the first of the Big Healey’s and was one of the 3 models which came under the name. It is popularly known as the Austin Healey 100-6.
This modified version of the Austin Healey 100 featured better specifications – a larger engine and a longer wheelbase. The car’s body lines had a lesser round appearance with a lower and wider radiator grille. It was also offered with 2 extra seats, which later became optional. The windscreen was no longer adjustable.
Two variations were produced from the year 1956 and onwards. These models are the 2+2 BN4 which was made in 1956 and a 2-seat BN6 which had been produced from 1958.
Both cars used the BMC C Series engines used in the Austin Westminister and produced 102 bhp. Output was increased to 117 bhp by 1957 with a revised manifold and a new cylinder head. The overdrive become an option rather than standard equipment. Later on in late 1957, the production was transferred from the Long Bridge production house to Abingdon at the MG plant.