The XK120 was a 2 door sports car manufactured by Jaguar from 1948 to 1954. During its production run over 12,000 cars were manufactured. The car was designated 120 in response to the top speed of 120 mph achieved by the first models.
The first of the XK120’s were hand built using aluminum only. Later as the demand picked up, pressed steel was used for body panels. The later cars retained aluminum doors, bonnet, and boot lids. The car was offered in 3 versions – OTS (roadster), DHC (drop head coupe) and FHC (coupe). The DHC and FHC versions were more luxuriously appointed than the roadsters and featured wind-up windows and wood veneers on the dashboard.
The OTS’ lightweight canvas top and detachable side screens stowed out of sight behind the seats, and its barchetta-style doors had no external handles; instead there was an interior pull-cord which was accessible through a flap in the sidescreens when the weather equipment was in place. The windscreen could be removed for aero screens to be fitted.
The DHC had a padded, lined canvas top, which folded onto the rear deck behind the seats when retracted, and roll-up windows with opening quarter lights. The flat glass two-piece windscreen was set in a steel frame that was integrated with the body and painted the same color.
Dashboards and door-caps in both the DHC and the closed coupé (FHC) were wood-veneered, whereas the more spartan OTS’ were leather-trimmed. All models had removable fender skirts covering the rear wheel arches, which enhanced the streamlined look.
In addition to wire wheels, upgrades on the Special Equipment, or SE, version (called the M version in the United States) included increased power, stiffer suspension and dual exhaust system.
The XK120 was powered by a 3.4 L straight-6 XK engine with twin side-draft SU carburetors and dual overhead-cam which developed 160 bhp
All XK120’s had independent torsion bar front suspension, telescopically adjustable steering column and drum brakes.